Easily manage your JMeter plugins
Apache JMeter is a very powerful performance tool by itself and thanks to it’s plugin based architecture, it allows you to enhance it by writing a plugin for custom requirements.
There are currently more than 73 free Open-Source plugins and UbikLoadPack provides enteprise plugin to:
- support additional protocols (Video Streaming, GWT, Flex, Java Seralization)
- increase your productivity by managing Auto-Correlation for Oracle ERP and Vaadin
- Enhance your monitoring through APM interfacing with Dynatrace, AppDynamics and NudgeAPM
Hopefull adding plugins to JMeter has never been so easy thanks to JMeter Plugins-Manager provided by jmeter-plugins.org
The global idea of this particular plugin is that you manually install it once and then get:
- search UI for new plugins
- easy and automated installation of new plugins
- easy update of plugins
- notification of new plugins
To install jmeter-plugin:
- go to https://jmeter-plugins.org/install/Install/
- Download the jar and put it in jmeter/lib/ext
- Restart JMeter
Setup from behind a proxy
If you’re behing a proxy, then create in jmeter/bin folder a new file called:
- setenv.cmd for Windows
- setenv.sh for Linux/MacOSX
set JVM_ARGS="-Dhttp.proxyHost=myproxy.com -Dhttp.proxyPort=8080 -Dhttp.proxyUser=ludwig -Dhttp.proxyPass=van-beethoven -Dhttps.proxyHost=myproxy.com -Dhttps.proxyPort=8080 -Dhttps.proxyUser=ludwig -Dhttps.proxyPass=van-beethoven"
export JVM_ARGS="-Dhttp.proxyHost=myproxy.com -Dhttp.proxyPort=8080 -Dhttp.proxyUser=ludwig -Dhttp.proxyPass=van-beethoven -Dhttps.proxyHost=myproxy.com -Dhttps.proxyPort=8080 -Dhttps.proxyUser=ludwig -Dhttps.proxyPass=van-beethove
When you restart jmeter, a new icon appears in toolbar and that you don’t have connectivity errors in logs:
Using Plugins Manager
Installing a new plugin
Click on Icon a popup appears, select “Available Plugins” tab, enter “thread” (in this case we are looking for Custom Thread Groups plugin, notice that:
- We have a list of results
- When we click on one result, we see the in the right panel:
- the documentation of the plugin and information about the Maven artifacts in highlighted part (groupId: kg.apc, artifactId: jmeter-plugins-castutg, version 2.6
- In the bottom panel we see the jars that plugin manager will download and put in the correct folder
Let’s click on “Apply Changes and Restart JMeter“, once jmeter is restarted, click again on Icon, this time the first tab shows “Custom Thread Groups” installed
We can use this plugin by right clicking on Test Plan > Add > Threads (Users), the provided plugins will appear:
Upgrading an existing plugin
The benefit of plugins-manager is that you get automatically notified whenever a new plugin is updated, you’ll get this particular icon:
If you click on Icon, you’ll see in third tab the plugins that have an update (in this case, for the demo, I had previously renamed the jar to 2.5 to show that plugins detects that 2.6 is available):
Philippe Mouawad is a developer, committer and member of the JMeter Project Management Committee at Apache.
He is also the co-author of the book Master JMeter : from load testing to DevOps.
He currently works as an Architect and technical expert for Ubik-Ingenierie where he leads among other things the development of UbikLoadPack a set of Commercial Plugins for Apache JMeter allowing to load test different protocols like MPEG-DASH, Http Live Streaming (HLS), HSS, HDS, GWT, JavaSerialization, Oracle applications.
- Ubik Load Pack is a set of Enterprise Grade plugins for Apache JMeter that handles load testing video streaming.
- We provide professional services for Load Testing
- UBIK LOAD PACK VIDEO STREAMING PLUGIN 27 November
- UBIK LOAD PACK AUTO-CORRELATOR PLUGIN 26 November
- Release of UbikLoadPack Video Streaming Plugin 6.5.0 22 November