How to ensure the best quality of viewing experience during the live transmission of an enterprise communication event ?
By load testing the streaming infrastructure with UbikLoadPack
Recently, one of our client wanted to verify that his new conferencing infrastructure could properly handle the delivery of a communication and training event for its 4,000 healthcare workers.
This conferencing infrastructure was composed of
- Jitsi video conferencing system
- Ant Media, their streaming engine software delivering the stream to end users
- Websocket system to allow watchers to ask questions
He wanted to check multiple things:
- Customers user experience (no lags, accuracy of stream, no delay)
- Ant Media delivery performance
- Bandwidth of the network
- Performance Test his video streaming servers up to 4 000 players
His event was a national one, where healthcare workers would be watching Covid19 related event from Switzerland (Europe).
So he contacted our professional services for a turnkey service of a realistic performance test on a HLS live stream in order to validate or improve its streaming infrastructure before the fast coming event.
Which tools to use and why ?
His OTT service was composed of an origin delivering Live HLS manifests using Ant Media solution.
Since we needed to run a Performance Test for a on premise HLS Live stream, we used:
UbikLoadPack Video Streaming plugin + Apache JMeter as the tool to simulate users watching Live streams delivered in HLS
UbikLoadPack Video Streaming plugin fits customer requirements in the following fields:
- Reproduce realistically and very easily a player reading Live stream delivered in HLS in this particular case (MPEG-DASH, MS Smooth are also supported). There is no need to write complex and unmaintainable JMeter test plan to reproduce the player behaviour, knowing that the multitude of formats and possibilities of Live Streaming makes this very complex and time consuming.
- Provide custom metrics to analyze User watching video experience
- Ability to graph those metrics
- Availability from the Cloud. For the short term, customer wanted to run the test from the Cloud
Redline13 fits customer requirements in the following fields:
- Easily deploy JMeter + UbikLoadPack with a single click from a web page on multiple servers in the AWS Cloud
- Start those servers from all over the world using AWS datacenters from a simple Web Page
- Live feedback on performance test
- Merged results and metrics in one CSV accross all nodes
- Get the JMeter report auto generated at end of test
The load test of the streaming infrastructure results:
Thanks to the Load test of its on-premise streaming infrastructure, our customer was able to:
- Run a load test with 4 000 players on premise hosting
- Diagnose a network contention on Internet access of the customer
- Optimize the configuration of the Ant Media server, a streaming engine software, and Linux servers hosting it
- Provide his end-user customer metrics showing that their services was delivering streams as per requested SLR
Request a trial version HERE.
Ask for a turnkey or consulting service at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Ubik Load Pack is used by Big players in the Video streaming field
- We provide professional services for Load Testing
- Learn more about our streaming plugin
- Get a Free trial
You’ll probably also like:
- Performance Testing Low Latency Dash servers with UbikLoadPack
- Performance Testing Low Latency HLS servers
- Load testing MPEG-DASH Video Streaming with Apache JMeter and UbikLoadPack
- Video Streaming: CMAF and Low-Latency
- Detailed features of UbikLoadPack Streaming Solution
- Cases studies
- Case Study from the Telco industry: Performance Test video streaming services with UbikLoadPack 17 February 2022
- Update JMeter plugins from CLI in CI/CD 20 December 2021
- JMeter and the Log4j vulnerability 14 December 2021